• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
Looks like previews have started dropping a couple of hours ago.

After four hours with Unicorn Overlord, I didn't come away itching to learn more about Prince Alain and his noble quest. But I did come away eager to dive deeper into the intricately designed and interwoven combat systems at play that make every encounter feel exciting and dangerous. After some admirable but often repetitive strategy and tactics RPGs in recent years (mostly from Square Enix), Unicorn Overlord is shaping up to be a fresh entry into the genre with Vanillaware's flair for style acting as the cherry on top.

• Unicorn Overlord is a tactical RPG with elements of strategy, auto battling, and open world exploration.
  • The game features a complex battle system, unique storyline, and overworld mechanics.
  • Players can assemble units, deploy them with Valor Points, and engage in battles with active and passive abilities.

Being so heavily inspired by Ogre Battle and SRPGs of yore, it's pleasantly surprising that Unicorn Overlord is as approachable as it is. There's difficulty, sure, but it's mechanical; the systems are explained in great detail, it doesn't take much exploring to find your first repeatable source of experience, and there's generosity in both resources and fast travel points.

Unicorn Overlord feels like a heightened, refined, modernised revival of Ogre Battle. It has challenging encounters, minutely granular unit building, and a satisfyingly by-the-books political plot. With Vanillaware's gorgeous aesthetic stamp and a host of quality-of-life features, this might very well be the best SRPG to launch in a long while, and I'm itching to get back to it already.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back