• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hacking RegionHax - How to get RegionFree on WiiU

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
So it's time to show you how to setup your WiiU to get Region Free. With that you don't need to modify any meta.xml anymore to make your game region free. This method will make your console able to launch any region content ! This was found by me.

THIS BEEN TESTED ON SYSNAND BY MANY USERS (WITH SUCCESS FOR ALL GUYS WHO GAVE ME A FEEDBACK), BUT IF YOU DOING A WRONG MANIPULATION (MODIFY THE WRONG VALUE BY EXAMPLE) YOU CAN BRICK.

I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICK.

THIS METHOD WORKS BOTH ON SYSNAND AND REDNAND

WHAT WILL WORK WITH REGIONHAX ?

All eshop content from all regions. Just install them on your rednand (with sigpatch) and launch them like any game. They can be normally updated and DLC should works too (I've no time to test, but i'm pretty sure they will work).

Disc games from others regions will works too.

HOW IT WORKS ?

Wii U store some settings and check them on boot. One of them settings is named game_region (like in meta.xml from a game) and for EU Wii U is set to 4.

I knew (from other region content) that JPN game_region is set to 1 and US to 2. So it looks like a binary number and each bit represent a region. By deduction (and tests), i found the others values, they are here :

Like you can see on this picture, if you add values together, you get others regions unlock, so the magic value to unlock all regions is 119.

HOW TO DO THE TRICK ?

What you need :

- python installed on your PC
- wupclient.py (from Fix94)
- your redNand already setup on Wii U if you want RegionHax on redNand
- Wupserver with cfwbooter if you want RegionHax on sysNand

[EDIT] SO THIS HAS BEEN NOW TESTED BY MANY USERS ON SYSNAND AND IT WORKS TOO. SO IF YOU WANT DO THIS ON YOUR SYSNAND, JUST REPLACE fw.img FROM YOUR CFW REDNAND BY THE fw.img FROM WUPSERVER BY Fix94 AND DO EXACTLY THE SAME PROCEDURE.

First off all, you have to edit wupclient.py to insert your WiiU IP address like in this example :

Start your Wii U in rednand (or with wupserver if you do RegionHax on your sysNand) and go on your PC.

In a command terminal (in the path you have stored wupclient.py) write :

python -i wupclient.py

This will start python and you will be able to write commands with wupclient.py. Write :

w.dl("/vol/system_slc/config/sys_prod.xml")

This will download your sys_prod.xml. Open it with a proper text editor like Notepad++ (a bad text editor can eventually change encodage in your file, so it's not what we want). You can see this line (value 4 is for EU) :

<game_region type="unsignedInt" length="4" access="700">4</game_region>

Replace the 4 (EU) by the magic value 119 like this :

<game_region type="unsignedInt" length="4" access="700">119</game_region>

Save and close text editor. In the command terminal write :

w.up("sys_prod.xml", "/vol/system_slc/config/sys_prod.xml")

When file upload is finished, you're done with RegionHax installation. You can reboot your Wii U, start again your rednand (or just reboot for those who did RegionHax on sysNand) and enjoy the Region Free !!!

Here the result in SysConfigTools (just to show you it works) :

:!: Brick warning :!:
=> DONT EDIT YOUR CONSOLE SERIAL OR YOU WILL BRICK (REDNAND & SYSNAND)

=> DONT EDIT YOUR product_area VALUE OR YOU WILL BRICK (REDNAND & SYSNAND)

[MAJ]
xXDungeon_CrawlerXx (from this forum) tried the trick on his sysnand with success ! He posted a video with his comments here :

First, you'll see my Firmware Version "5.5.1 E".
Then you'll see how I reboot my Wii U completely.
After that you'll see how I could start Xenoblade Chronicles X (EUR Version).
Then I inserted Hyrule Warriors (JPN Version) and I started it.
You can play the game normally but you can't open the Manual because the disc doesn't contain the EUR Manual for that game.

Thanks to them for the feedback !

Dont hesitate to let a comment here to share your experience if you try this.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back