• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1/2 PS2 using 2TB internal HDD

PlayStation and PS2 Games

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
Everywhere I look on the web I see conflicting answers about whether a PS2 can handle a 2TB SATA internal HDD. Much info is also outdated. So I registered to either get a definitive No on the issue or make a tutorial on getting this to happen.

I sure haven't gotten this working yet, so anyone with any information about this, please chime in!

Step 1: Hardware issues
I'm reasonably sure that 2TB PATA hard drives do not exist. However, we can easily adapt it to SATA for 2.5 inch drives or use the MaxDiyPower adapter (which claims to support 2TB). I ordered one of these a week ago today, and hopefully I'll get it sometime soon? The order still just says 'processing' on my account and I have NOT heard positive things about customer service with this guy.
Update 10-16-16: I take it back; I called the guy on Skype and he politely told me something in broken english about the parts being delayed. He apologized and promised it would be coming very soon. Sure enough, next day I got a tracking number in my email. Excited for the delivery.

Step 2: Software
In order to make this work we need a hard drive loading app on the PS2 and some way of putting the games onto the drive.

2a:
Everywhere I look I see OPL is the loader to download. However, I don't see any kind of official documentation about the maximum size of the internal HDD. This might be a problem.

2b:
I've been using WinHiip to install games onto my 1TB drive up till now. It seemed to be working fine until I installed game 256 and found out there's an arbitrary limit on how many games WinHiip will install. So now we try HDL Dump. I'll be following this guide:
http://johnriselvato.com/how-to-install-backups-from-eth-to-ps2-hdl-dump-gui-opl/
My 2TB sata drive arrives in the mail today (hopefully not defective again) and I will continue updating this post with every problem I overcome.

So, has anyone here got this to work before? Anyone know something I don't? Cite sources! There's too much heresay on the subject!

EXTRA RESOURES:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f98/2tb-hard-drive-playstation-hdloader-says-no-156393/#
3 posts down or so someone claims they have a way to do this. Looks promising.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

• Witch and Hero II [NA]
    Witch and Hero II [NA]
    99% completion; Normal, Advanced and Expert Modes clear, missing a couple grindy bestiary logs
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • FNF: DUSTTALE MOD REMASTERED (2.0)
    FNF: DUSTTALE MOD REMASTERED (2.0)
    A Mod for Friday Night Funkin'.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Battle Music Randomizer
    Battle Music Randomizer
    A Mod for Persona 5 Royal (PC).
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Maniac Mansion Decoded
    Maniac Mansion Decoded
    Hack of Maniac Mansion
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Plat3 2
    Plat3 2
    A difficult, minimalistic platformer
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Brokemia Helper
    Brokemia Helper
    A Mod for Celeste.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • ToonHUD
    ToonHUD
    A Mod for Team Fortress 2.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Shroom Helper
    Shroom Helper
    A Mod for Celeste.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Toon Explosion FX
    Toon Explosion FX
    A Mod for Team Fortress 2.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • B.A.K. Solid
    B.A.K. Solid
    A Mod for Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.
    • admin
    • Updated:

Tutorials

Back