• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Internal Storage Upgrades are possible

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
Thanks to the amazing work of @SDIO, @shinyquagsire23, @GaryOderNichts, and others, we've now proven that it's possible to upgrade the internal storage on the Wii U. I'm not talking about soldering to the USB ports, this is honest-to-goodness System Memory of sizes other than 8/32GB.

No, it is NOT ready for endusers yet. The process is still pretty hacky, actually; and more refinement needs to be done before it's reasonable for non-devs to try.

Known caveats:
  • Online is completely broken (including game updates) - this is being worked on! (Fixed!)
  • For NAND-AIDs above 64GB, your console must be de_Fused, which also means switching SD cards during boot if you want more than 2GB SD space
  • For 8, 32 or 64GB NAND-AIDs, your console must be de_Fused to format and setup the card, but can be stock after that
  • For SATA boards we aren't 100% sure yet, but it seems some drives need to have the original eMMC disabled, either via de_Fuse or by cutting its CLK trace. de_Fuse is required for formatting and setup either way
  • Quotas are missing, so filling up your storage all the way will cause the system to misbehave (Fixed by @V10lator!)
Credits (so far!):
  • @SDIO - worked hard to make a console up and running from blank storage, wrote patches to install the OS, and more! basically behind the whole endeavor
  • @shinyquagsire23 - made de_Fuse modchip which makes any of this possible to develop, disc drive disable patch (used for SATA board)
  • @GaryOderNichts - disabled MLC size limits, disabled SCFM caches, bypassed the many, many crashes in the bootstrapping process. also UDPIH turned out to be very helpful
  • @QuarkTheAwesome - SATA adapter board, initial MLC formatting patch
  • @V10lator - Permissions and quotas research, fixed some of the more subtle bugs in the process
I will add more people once their contributions are ready to show ;)

@SDIO's console; 512GB SD card via @Voultar's NAND-AID:

Data Management in a German console, showing 475GB free

My own console, 120GB SATA SSD via still-in-development adapter board. Note this removes the optical drive.

IMG_2709.jpg

My own console, 1TB hard drive (this is how I'm gonna keep it until I can get a not-garbage SSD):

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

Coming soon™!

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back