• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Helldivers 2 players just wiped out an entire enemy faction, so what on Super Earth happens now?

1712556303246.png

The official Helldivers Twitter account has announced that players' latest operation was a success, with the forces of Super Earth wiping out an entire enemy faction. The Automatons were cornered to a few holdout worlds days ago and defeated for good today, which begs the question: where does the game go now, sans an entire enemy type?

You did it, Helldivers," Arrowhead declared. "Operation Swift Disassembly was a success! With the bots eradicated and bugs contained, the galaxy is free once more.

It's an incredibly bold move for a live game, even the famously elastic and reactive Helldivers 2, whose wartime plot twists and surprise gear upgrades are masterminded by a shadowy GM known only as Joel. Swift Disassembly commenced on Friday, with a three-day time limit for players to complete enough missions on the bot-held planets of Maia, Durgen, and Tibit. With Durgen's fall today, it certainly looks like the bots are kaput.

The first Helldivers' Groundhog Day loop of galactic warfare restarting on a monthly cadence may provide a clue as to where we go next. Helldivers 2's more in-depth story management may mean a more twisty and surprising path, but I doubt this is the last we've seen of the Automatons. We've also got a remaining Helldivers 1 faction that's still fully MIA, the Illuminate, who are bound to show up sooner or later.

One thing's for sure though: Helldivers 2's live storytelling runs circles around anything I've ever seen before. I remain haunted by Destiny 2's rough Season of the Worthy, where so few people wanted to do its boring seasonal activity to fill a meter and move the plot, Bungie goosed the numbers to make it happen. Helldivers 2, meanwhile, has real stakes and momentum, as well as a sense it can always go either way.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back