• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROM Hack Gyakuten Saiban 1-3 Translation

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
Website
gameparadise.org
Credits
h3rmit is continuing this project, see latest posts in this topic.

==============================

Note: Not continuing this project, since the low amount of memory in the GBA version is causing the game to crash with the new English text which takes up more space than the Japanese text. Fixing requires moving pointers and splitting the script in multiple files which is irritating. Main reason I started this project was actually to play Phoenix Wright games on my TV, and the WiiWare versions fulfilled this.

Download Translation as of September 11th 2008 here: Translated all of case 2, just missing some full screen answers in the second trial.
Also, Scorpei has created a wiki page for the project at http://PW.scorpei.com/

This project aims to take the script from the English Phoenix Wright games 1-3 for NDS and put them into the Japanese Gyakuten Saiban games 1-3 for GBA, creating an English translation for three GBA games.
smile.gif

deufeufeu said:
with the stuff at come back court (gs3 translation) it could be not so difficult. You have to add a variable width font hack, to add English letters at the end of the Japanese font, and to change scriptutils.py to encode any character with the given offset. Since the ASM font hack might be tedious if you don't have any hacking background, I can say that it could range from one afternoon to two weeks
tongue.gif

If anyone has any familiarity with hacking roms and is interested in this project, please consider helping, as my knowledge in this area is minimal so far.

Tools needed:
Comeback Courtroom tools (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...lease_id=500989)
Phoenix Wright Script Editor (http://www.romhacking.net/utils/419/)

To start off, I have extracted the English scripts from PW3 and the Japanese script from GS3. Since the CC3 tool already includes VWF, it should be the quickest and easiest way to start testing this project.

Since two different tools were used, the scripts are not formatted the same. For example, the file containing the English trans uses and while the Japanese script shows and . I could just replace : and , with spaces, but doing so would effect normal spoken text as well. An alternative would be to modify the Phoenix Wright Script Editor to format output so that such commands as would instead be output as so it would be in the correct format for the Comeback Court 3 editor. PWSE is written in Python and includes the source, so it should be easy enough for someone who knows python, hopefully.
Edit: Or, a text editor that can do renames such as [ ] to @ptr or to .

Scripts of case 1 (items ending in translated are the English, the others are the Japanese version as formatted for CC3, which will be used to put the text into the gba version):
http://www.4shared.com/file/38659382/abbabd6b/gs3-1.html

Edit 2: I've created a small program that does the conversion of the control codes in the scripts created by PWSE to the formatting of the control codes used in the comebackcourt tool. It can output script, convert to similar codes as used with comebackcourt, and change replace Japanese text with a file with an English file created after using the output script function. You can get it here: http://pw.scorpei.com/aascriptreader.zip

Edit 3: After modifying aascriptreader a few times to reduce the errors and testing the rom, I have found that simply substituting the cc files will NOT work since the DS and GBA games use different argument values. However, it would still be possible to use aascriptreader's "script output" function to remove control codes only leaving in dialogue separated by line, which could then be substituted to replace the Japanese text by adding a new function that checks for where ''. That would work assuming that the Japanese and English use the same amount of dialogue separations (hopefully), but it would still require modification of the speed arguments which are not the same for Japanese and English versions because of the differing length between number of characters of each.

Edit 4: I attempted to substitute English directly into the Japanese. Unfortunately, the English and Japanese text does not line up properly, so it will be a bit more complicated than I had hoped. I'll try to go back to changing PWSE scripts to cc scripts, but it will be difficult as the control codes of cc use hexadecimal and values may not line up correctly.

Here's an example of the misalignment when substituting English into the Japanese script:
First, the original Japanese:
CODE@PTR0

=01
=01=5a
/6??????=1e?????
[]
=96
/1??*0????=2d/5?????????????=14
[]
=01=19=50
=78=19
=01/7??????/8??=3c/3????????=10?????????=78
[]
=1a
=19=1e=19=64
=19=01
%3/5???????????????????
[]
=46=14
=14%0/3??????=10????????????=64
[]

=14%3/5????????????=10/4????=10???????????=64
[]

%0??=10/2*0?????=46
[]

%3=14/6????=0c?????=14/9????????/b???/d???/b??=32
[]
=19
=01*0&0
%0/1??
[
&0
??

&0
?????=64
]

=0a/3?????/c??=28*1/2???????????=50
[]
&0=01
=01=24=01
=19=60=28=50
=b4=b4
/8???=10/6????????=14/5??=10???/c??=14/4?????=5a
[]
=0f=05
=01*2=78
/a??????????=78
[]
=78=19

The English substituted directly in:
CODE@PTR0

=01
=01=5a
/6..."huff"...=1e"huff"...
[]
=96
/1Argh!*0How did I get into this mess?=2d/5Why...?=14
[]
=01=19=50
=78=19
=01/7 Why did I do that...?/8That girl...=3c/3You shouldn't see her anymore.Hey!=10It's none of your business!=78
[]
=1a
=19=1e=19=64
=19=01
%3/5I'm telling you for your sake.If you continue to see her,
[]
=46=14
=14%0/3it's going to be bad news.=10Y=64
[]

=14%3/5{1665}You're lying!=10/4Just listen to me.=10There's something you need=64
[]

%0to know about that girl... ...=10/2*0Stop=46
[]

%3=14/6 it!=0cD=14/9{1665}Don't talk about her like/bthat!/dIt/b{1665}It wasn't me!=32
[]
=19
=01*0&0
%0/1I
[
&0
{1665}I d

&0
{1665}didn't...=64
]

=0a/3I didn't do it!/c{1665}{1665} 5 Years Earlier {1665}{1665}=28*1/2Mia Fey=50
[]
&0=01
=01=24=01
=19=60=28=50
=b4=b4
/82nd Trial=10/6April 11,=14/5 9:40 AM=10District Court/cDefendant Lobby No. 3=14/4(Whew,=5a
[]
=0f=05
=01*2=78
/a it's finally time...=78
[]
=78=19

As you can see, because of differing amounts of divisions between English and Japanese phrases, the English substitution jumps ahead to the next section early, so the substitution option appears to be out.

------------------------------
So, does anyone want to help out on this project?

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

• Witch and Hero II [NA]
    Witch and Hero II [NA]
    99% completion; Normal, Advanced and Expert Modes clear, missing a couple grindy bestiary logs
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • FNF: DUSTTALE MOD REMASTERED (2.0)
    FNF: DUSTTALE MOD REMASTERED (2.0)
    A Mod for Friday Night Funkin'.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Battle Music Randomizer
    Battle Music Randomizer
    A Mod for Persona 5 Royal (PC).
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Maniac Mansion Decoded
    Maniac Mansion Decoded
    Hack of Maniac Mansion
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Plat3 2
    Plat3 2
    A difficult, minimalistic platformer
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Brokemia Helper
    Brokemia Helper
    A Mod for Celeste.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • ToonHUD
    ToonHUD
    A Mod for Team Fortress 2.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Shroom Helper
    Shroom Helper
    A Mod for Celeste.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • Toon Explosion FX
    Toon Explosion FX
    A Mod for Team Fortress 2.
    • admin
    • Updated:
  • B.A.K. Solid
    B.A.K. Solid
    A Mod for Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.
    • admin
    • Updated:

Tutorials

Back