• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Debian/Ubuntu] FacetimeHD Webcam Driver

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
So, this is my first time building and distributing a DEB package, and it may not work as intended. I don't have a second Mac on hand that I can test with. I'm posting this for any other Mac users out there that are having a hard time getting the internal webcam working. The process to do it manually is rather tedious, and documentation is lacking. This is also a DKMS package, which means any time your kernel gets updated, the driver should be automatically added to the new kernel, making reinstalling it unnecessary. I've also extracted the color profiles from the Bootcamp driver, so color correction should also work properly. Credits for the actual driver go to patjak.

This driver should work with the following models:
  • iMac (21,5", since mid 2011)
  • iMac (27", since mid 2011)
  • MacBook Air (since mid 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (15", since early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17", since early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13", since early 2011)
  • Thunderbolt display
Download ZIPhttps://cloud.mogbox.net/s/ppgUGM07JSSCXdx/download

First, install the camera firmware from Apple:
Code:
> $ sudo apt install git cpio curl xz-utils
> $ sudo su - && cd /usr/local/src
> # git clone https://github.com/patjak/facetimehd-firmware.git && cd facetimehd-firmware
> # make && make install
> # exit
Then, install the driver and color profiles:
Code:
> $ unzip facetimehd-dkms_0.1_all-20221111.zip -d facetimehd && cd facetimehd
> $ sudo dpkg -i facetimehd-dkms_0.1_all-20221111.deb
> $ sudo cp Color\ Profiles/*.dat /usr/lib/firmware/facetimehd
Reboot and you should be good to go. Please let me know if anything goes wrong. I'll try to help as best as possible.

Update - June 11th, 2022
A few commits have been made since I posted this, so I decided to build a new version with the latest changes. Instructions are pretty much still the same, and you can check the commit links below for changes. They're in the order of newest to oldest.

75a2a58 - Use dma_set_coherent_mask() instead of pci_set_consistent_dma_mask()
8431504 - Specify module device table
f85a604 - Apply SPDX license identifiers and provide a LICENSE file

Update - December 18th, 2022

Belated, but built the driver against Linux 6.x for a proper DKMS package.

Bonus:
If you don't use a Debian based distro, there are also RPM packages for RHEL based distributions, a PKGBUILD for Arch based distributions, and packages for OpenSUSE. Here are instructions for Gentoo as well.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back