• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review Analysis Ultros | Review Thread

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
ezgif-1-e5bc73426d.jpg

Game Information

Game Title
: Ultros

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 13, 2024)
  • PC (Feb 13, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 13, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Hadoque

Publisher: Kepler Interactive

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 80 average - 81% recommended

image.png

Metacritic - 82 average based on 18 Critic Reviews

image.png

Written Reviews

COGconnected
- Mark Steighner - 80 / 100
Ultros is a game with a very strong visual identity, trippy theme and a few unique mechanics, like its gardening system for upgrades and abilities. Strip away the psychedelic art and gauzy narrative, however, and you're left with a somewhat familiar-playing 2D Metroidvania. That isn't necessarily bad, but I wish the game's combat and exploration matched the imagination of its art.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3 / 5
Ultros is a bold and beautiful artistic vision, but a convoluted Metroidvania.

Digitec Magazine - Kevin Hofer - German - Unscored
Ultros is one of those games that grabs me right from the start, even though it doesn't explain almost anything. Maybe that's why I like it. I like being thrown in at the deep end and exploring the unknown without context. And when that world is as stylish as the "sarcophagus", it's all the better.

Unfortunately, some ideas and unlockable abilities are not fully fleshed out. The same applies to the combat system, which suffers from a lack of enemy variety and a low difficulty level. Despite the criticism, I enjoyed playing Ultros. And if you like Metroidvanias, you'll probably feel the same.

Eurogamer - Christian Donlan - 4 / 5
Psychedelic stylings accompany a game of transformation and discovery.

GameBlast - Farley Santos - Portuguese - 7.5 / 10
Ultros is an adventure of contrasts, in which its innovations shine against the backdrop of its executional flaws. The game stands out for its extravagant atmosphere, creating a unique experience that, despite its problems, is still worth exploring for fans of the genre looking for something out of the ordinary. Full appreciation of the game requires a willingness to experiment, explore, and sometimes tolerate its less refined elements.

GamesRadar+ - Joe Donnelly - 4.5 / 5
"Just when you thought Ultros couldn't get any more outlandish, it has its own gardening system."

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 8 / 10
Expect to be confused, bewildered, and visually seduced by Ultros, but don't expect to be too surprised by what simmers beneath the surface.

Hey Poor Player - Josh Speer - 3 / 5
More than anything, I feel amazing Metroidvanias need to strike a great balance between combat and exploration, where everything you accomplish is constantly bringing you one step closer to reaching the end of the game. I don't feel that's the case in Ultros. The rewind aspect of the game, combined with constantly losing platforming abilities and combat upgrades, makes the entire experience a painful slog. So even though I respect the ambition and creativity on display, ultimately, that's not enough to elevate this game beyond its peers.

Metro GameCentral - Max Freeman Mills - 7 / 10
Sometimes visuals are enough to carry a game and they certainly take Ultros far, although mediocre combat and some jankiness slightly undermines the unique vision.

PSX Brasil - Marco Aurélio Couto - Portuguese - 75 / 100
Ultros is a good journey through colors and sound effects; A relaxing journey that inspires the preservation of life and its renewal. However, it could be a memorable experience if it was better balanced in some of its aspects.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 9 / 10
Ultros takes the durable, and fortunately resurgent, genre of Metroidvania and places a clever roguelike spin on it that incorporates memory and gardening, placing it all within a cosmic womb orbiting a black hole at the edge of space. It'll be El Heurvo's art that's sure to capture your attention at first, but Ultros' several wedded ideas flower into a game that does well to keep it.

Push Square - Max Freeman Mills - 7 / 10
Ultros boasts a visual identity that deserves real recognition, a stunning vision of alien colour with design ideas that live long in the memory. Its platforming and combat can't quite match that vigorous success, sadly. Still, if you're on the hunt for a unique-looking Metroidvania game that comes bursting with ideas and a modest 10-hour runtime with the option of more if you love it, few games can match it for style.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Katharine Castle - Unscored
Late-game fiddliness spoils what is otherwise a vibrant and always interesting Metroidvania, whose emphasis on growth, connection and (tripping out on mad monsters) make it one of the most sumptuous games of 2024 so far.

Shacknews - Josh Broadwell - 9 / 10
Ultros is a kaleidoscope game. It takes a handful of ordinary things, shakes them up and sticks the pieces together, and then spins it all around. It's just a different version of what we've seen dozens of times before, sure. But it feels special, and it sure does look good.

Siliconera - Cory Dinkel - 8 / 10
Ultros drips style, but does not skimp on substance. The psychedelic art style and dreamy soundtrack elevate the familiar, but not quite tired, gameplay loop.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 9 / 10
Ultros is a psychedelic platformer that could easily belong in a modern art showcase. It has simple yet engaging combat mechanics, phenomenal art and music, and great characters. I urge you to check the game out if you're even a little curious.

WellPlayed - Ash Wayling - 9 / 10
Ultros is one of those rare beasts that ticks many, many boxes for what makes a game memorable, right from the second its title screen sucker punches you with its prismatic panache.

Video Reviews

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back