• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulation Hacking POPS on PSP/Vita - Config Research

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
So guys, I looked around and never saw anything about it.

We know that PS1 games not working properly on PSP or Adrenaline (Vita), we have some means of repair like:

- Compression level
- GameID change
- Use of POPsLoader (PSP)
- Games with more than 1 CD may work better in some cases with separate EBOOTs.

etc...

But I bumped into something curious that apparently worked and I don't know how far it goes.

It all started with PS1 Winning Eleven games for PSP and Vita, these games when you make MODs on them or apply translations, some things stop working like Master League.

So I decided to analyze the MOD game and the original game with the same ID in a HEX Editor and I noticed that there were big changes in the BOOT sector.

I copied the BOOT sector from the original and rewrote it over the same sector (offset) from the MOD game and saved.

Then I converted it to EBOOT and tested it on Vita and PSP, to my surprise the game worked apparently perfect, both translated and totally modified, without problems in Master League and others.

=======

I took it further and tested it in another problematic game but now in a different way, at least on Firmware 6.60/6.61 which is Dragon Warrior VII where we know the game does not display the subtitles and on PSP it is playable thanks to Pops as on Adrenaline it does not because it gives the same error.

So using the Japanese version of the game I copied the same sector from BOOT(?) in the Hex Editor of CD1 and CD2. Then I pasted the data on the same sector of CD1 and CD2 of the American game and saved.

After doing this PSX2PSP recognized it as a Japanese game (probably because it changed the ID in the code), I converted anyway. I ran the game on Adrenaline and apart from the fact that the game appears as Japanese, all the rest of the game was American when running and with the subtitles correction appearing perfectly as far as I played.

I also performed other different tests with the game Dragon Valor etc. where I was successful, working well in Adrenaline. In the case of Dragon Valor I replaced the GameID as recommended in the compatibility list, but as there is no PopsLoader on Vita giving a black screen at 6.61 I used the PopBios plugin which I happened to discover that it does more than just show the nostalgic PS1 intro , he is able to correctly boot some games that are in black screen on Adrenaline and PSP 661. The game worked without slowdown and without the fire drop bug on the purple plant.

Well I'll stop here so I don't get too long, I even created a patch for DQVII based on this but for now because I'm new I can't post anything yet.
But anyone who wants to test the methods and post new results would be interesting.
And whoever understands more deeply what happens in these cases would be interesting to have an opinion..

Hugs.

=============================================

Attention:

I recommend everyone to see this topic about an excellent work done by wad11656, he created a GUI for the SetRegion program that is used a lot for corrections / PS1 games compatibility increase with PSP and PSVita, with this work, now all may try to repair their own games and share our attempts.

SetRegion GUI by wad11656
GitHub

edit:

Old title "New(?) mode to Fix(??) PS1 games for PSP and PSVita."

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back