• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%

Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

[Originally: [Retro Anime Discussion 2020 ]

Anime discussion is one of the main reasons I joined NeoGAF. Secondly, because I'm a casual gamer. Retro is just something that sorta spins my universe and I know it does for many others.

Popular titles which most are going to say are the only retro anime to watch by generalization are: Ninja Scroll, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, Yu Yu FBeeEye and Trigun. Some others are much less discussed (you'll find those in the below timeline). To get this started. I'll start in 1978 when the Japan economic bubble was about to pop and slowly declined in the mid-late 1990's. (We're no longer discussing anime from the 2000's due to the transition from hand-drawn to digital which occured in the early millenium)

What's to discuss? What do you really like about retro anime? What's the difference between nostalgia & retro? Process, timelines, key figures and those who made it possible. Did you start watching during the 60's, 80', or in the 90's?
Anything you miss about the way anime was -- E.G. "Hand-painted cels, cel shading, influenced by Western/other pop culture, more adult-themed characters or stories, etc."

Also, feel free to discuss anime prior to 1978 like the works of Matsumoto, Nagai, etc.

Discuss!

==================================================================================
Random Retro anime from 1978-1998

Note: Of course there are many others from each year listed here. That's why I want you to add or replace your favorite on this list. I tried not to include the ones everyone knows even though some still ended up here.

1978 - Galaxy Express 999
1979 - Mobile Suit Gundam
1980 - Space Runaway Ideon
1981 - Urusei Yatsura
1982 - Space Adventure Cobra
1983 - Golgo 13: The Professional
1984 - Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star)
1985 - Dirty Pair
1986 - Project A-ko (Dragon Ball also debuted this year)
1987 - Bubblegum Crisis (City Hunter also debuted this year)
1988 - Gunbuster
1989 - Ranma 1/2
1990 - Record of Lodoss War
1991 - 3 X 3 Eyes
1992 - Tenchi Muyo OVA 1
1993 - Dragon Half (this deserves to be here even if it's only 2 episodes)
1994 - Iria Zeiram: The animation
1995 - The Slayers
1996 - Rurouni Kenshin
1997 - Berserk
1998 - (Drop me a line in a post)

Special thanks to: @EviLore 3rd time I've thanked you for preserving all the older retro/classic anime thread on GAF after the split happened in 2017, @Corpsepyre for inspiring me to create just one more retro anime thread, @SLoWMoTIoN for changing his/her AV almost weekly to a different anime character, @Shouta for his contributions to previous cool anime threads and to those who frequent the thread with often very useful history such as [IMG alt="Space Runaway"]https://www.neogaf.com/data/avatars/s/745/745650.jpg?1565131396[/IMG] Space Runaway and J JunkerWoland !

Updated: May 2023

p6Lo9aO.jpg

NzTjk7N.jpg

L51Ayl1.jpg

XP17zaq.jpg

bC54SvT.jpg

No thread for 2000's anime? Make it. This is for pre-digital anime discussion.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back