• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hacking Homebrew [Release] AGB_edit: Edit/dump GBA VC injects & auto sleep on lid close

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
Website
gameparadise.org
Credits
Get the latest version on Github

This is a small and simple tool I created that can print info about and edit your existing GBA VC cias. The main thing that makes it unique is that it can set a button combo that AGB_FIRM will automatically press when you close the lid. Combined with a GBATA or NSUI sleep patch using the same key combo, this can give you proper GBA sleep mode when you close the lid. I suppose it can also be used to press start to pause the game when you close the lid.

Now in version 0.2, there's a screen filter editor beyond just changing the darken filter amount. AGB_FIRM provides a video lookup table (LUT), which can do the sorts of things the "curves" tool in Photoshop or Gimp can do. But all that Nintendo or existing community tools I've seen do with it is make linear darken filters. The top use of this is to make gamma correction filters -- many games look like the screen brightness is lowered with the darken filter, and washed out without it, but gamma correction makes it a lot more like AGS-101 or DS Lite colors. It can also make things like blue light filters and weird trippy effects.

It supports both official Ambassador Program ones as well as NSUI-generated ones, and preserves the manual in official ones. I point this out as a feature since some other tools only work with one or the other -- Nintendo uses index 2 in the cia for the GBA ROM and adds a manual at index 3, while NSUI puts the ROM at index 0 and no manual.

Features:
- Add a button combo to be pressed automatically when the lid is closed
- Change the LCD ghosting value / remove ghosting
- Make screen filters beyond just darken
- Interpret and print all info in the ROM footer
- Dump GBA ROM file to a file next to the cia but with the gba extension
- Dump cia and exefs contents to a folder with the name of the cia but .dump
- Batch processing of all of the above

The UI is all terminal based. Drag one or more GBA VC cia files to agb_edit.exe or run it from the command line with the cia filenames as arguments, and it will present a series of prompts depending what you want to do. It spits out a bunch of info after the questions, so you might want to maximize the cmd window it runs in.

A NOTE: If you're going to drag and drop cia files onto agb_edit.exe, put them in the same directory as the exe, or it won't be able to find its progfiles exe's and you'll get "The system cannot find the path specified."

Source code is on Github, and I've cleaned it up a bit since 0.1 where it was all in one file, though it still has more spaghetti than I'd like. I'm still planning to clean up the code more and add a GUI.

This started as just a tool to set sleep buttons so I could have proper lid-close sleep mode in AGB_FIRM, since I found out it has this feature but there don't seem to be any tools to use it. Then it grew because I wanted an easy way to fix my old ambassador VCs' video. And then I thought it would be handy to dump the GBA ROM or leave the temp folder it makes to poke around in what it extracted.

0.1.0: Initial release.
0.2.0: Added screen filter editing with gamma correction, color temperature/whitepoint, brightness, contrast, ceiling, floor, invert and solarize effects. Moved code to Github. Separated code into multiple files.
0.2.0a: Swapped the 3 exes in progfiles for old versions that work more reliably.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back