• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hacking Nintendo 3DS Hack Compilation

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
There are now known exploits/hacks that "apparently" work, and one that DOES work. Scroll down to see them. Each exploit is separated by a title in a bold red color.

Gateway Thread Now Updated
DEC 10, 2013

Nintendo 3DS Exploit

This is a rewritten thread. The original can still be found below in a spoiler.

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VosInterficiam

UPDATED September 14, 2013

Origin

On December 16, 2012 (or earlier) yellow8 posted an image of the 3DS with the bottom screen stating "WE HACKED IT!". And thus, the 3DS exploit was revealed! Furthermore, Neimod announces the following in a conversation at 3DBrew.org "[07:51:56] <@neimod> full control of the 3ds in kernel mode (arm9 & arm11) from an unmodified 3ds :]".

What This Means

The 3DS exploit is a save game exploit based on data extracted from the save file of a retail game (meaning a game that can be purchased from your local games store). It may not work on the EShop equivalent of the game and Nintendo will certainly withhold the EShop version once the the exploit is made public. The retail version however will most likely be available very easily so it shouldn't be a problem to get ahold of it. The exploitable game hasn't been announced yet so please don't ask.

Once Kernel control is achieved after exploiting the system, it is possible to launch custom code (homebrew, rom loaders, etc), remove region lock, etc. However; the 3DBrew devs have stated that they will not release any warez related code and that this exploit will only be used to launch homebrew. In one case, one of the leading member of the dev team has even gone as far as to say that they will not be sharing the exploit at all, "[07:57:34] <@neimod> unfortunately, we are elitist bastards who never share anything, so kiss that warez loader goodbye".

How We Think The Homebrew Will Work Based On Released Information

Unlike the last decade, this time around, there will be NO flashcards. The exploit is based entirely off of an SD card so all homebrew or other code will be executed from the SD card. Of course, it's still possible to create a Flashcard, but who's willing to spend money when you can just launch it from an SD card that came with the 3DS for free?

Although the 3DBrew devs have stated that they only plan on releasing homebrew, it is highly likely that another team or someone else will pick up from where they leave off once the hack has been released and make warez loaders.

Response/Media Reception

While you'd think that all developers would be against the release of an exploit, other developers go as far as to criticize these devs by stating that they simply did not make games worth buying. For more on this, go to the 4th post on this page; http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-3ds-hack-compilation.340296

For Further Information
  • See the original thread below for a LOT more in depth information including pictures
  • Ask someone in the discussion thread
  • Bug the 3DBrew devs who probably won't answer you
  • Contact me on Twitter via a private message
  • Have something to add to this thread? Contact me via Twitter or PM
  • Did I miss something that was in the old thread but not in the new one? PM me on GBATEMP
Further Developments
So apparently the haxx or whatever they are calling it was patched in my absence so if you are under firmware 5.0.0-11 (<that's the firmware that patches it), do not update it. They aren't planning to release it even though it was patched which is pretty fishy, but whatever, summer's here, so, get off of your butt and go out for a run. I'm going to go for a run. Just not in the day light, too sweaty. I hate sweat. :O

Spoiler
Spoiler

Gateway 3DS Flashcard

Current Gateway Info-The only working and released exploit

UPDATED DEC 10, 2013

Gateway has been released for a while now. It is the first and only Flashcard that has been released to the public so far and is able to play retail game roms as well as the actual cartridges. Gateway only works on firmwares 4.1-4.5 at first, but you can update through emuNand and still retain the hack.

Here is some quick info taken from THIS thread. You should go to the full info thread for everything.

Brief Info About Gateway 3DS

Q: What is Gateway 3DS?
A: Gateway 3DS is the first working 3DS flash cart.

Q: What do I need to use Gateway 3DS?
A: A Nintendo 3DS on firmware 4.1 - 4.5 and the Gateway 3DS red and blue flashcarts of course.

Q: My firmware is below 4.1, what can I do?
A: You may buy or rent a game that forces an update to 4.x. A full list of games and required firmware is found here or here. Note: So not try to update via internet or your 3DS will be updated to 6.x!

Q: My firmware is above 4.5, what can I do?
A: If you have a backup of your NAND that has firmware 4.5 and below, you can flash it back to your console. There is a thread about this here.

Q: Actually, I haven't baught a Nintendo 3DS yet. Where do I get a 3DS with firmware 4.1 - 4.5?
A: Those Nintendo 3DSs with copyright 2012 have firmware 4.5 and below. There is a thread about this here and here is a picture of the copyright sign on the package.

Q: What about the compatibility?
A: There is a nice thread about the game compatibility here. Hopefully it gets updated frequently.

Q: What about eShop games? Can I run them somehow with Gateway?
A: No, currently not. But after the release of 2.0 it should be possible to enter eShop and buy those games and likely also DLCs legally.

Q: I heard very much about this update 2.0? What exactly is emuNAND?
A: EmuNAND is a feature of the upcoming update 2.0. With this feature it is possible to backup the NAND of your console on your SD-Card and then emulate it from the SD-Card. Then it should be possible to update this emulated NAND to the latest firmware, while the physical NAND on your console remains on 4.1 - 4.5. While running the emulated NAND it will be possible enter eShop and use all benefits of the new firmware.

Q: Where can I buy a Gateway 3DS?
A: This depends on the country you're living in. A full list of official resellers is found here.

Q: Does Gateway 3DS work on my Nintendo 2DS?
A: Since the Nintendo 2DS is shipped with firmware 6.x, Gateway does not work

FINDING A 3DS THAT WORKS WITH GATEWAY

In terms of 3DS XL (and probably the normal 3DS as well) it must be "copyright 2012" and a serial number that starts with the following:

Canada/USA-SW1244 or below
Europe-
Australia-
Japan-

I'll update it as I discover more. So for example, I just bought my 3DS with the firmware 4.4 and the serial number started with SW12309.

Gateway Compatibility List

This is just the current info I took off of THIS thread. You should go to the actual thread to make sure you have the latest information-but this is just an example of what it can do for now.

With the launch of Gateway's 2.0b1 firmware, emuNAND, and Nintendo's new 7.0 firmware update, there's been a lot of confusion about what works and what doesn't. I wanted to make a compatibility list, and keep it up to date as new developments come out, so that it's easy for everyone to figure out what works, and how to get it working.
4.5 sysNAND + Gateway 2.0b1
  • ROMs: Plays all ROMs, including Zelda ALBW and Batman, except for NANDsave ones like Pokemon X/Y
  • Retail: Does not play retail games
  • Online: Does not work for ROMs and retail games don't work
  • eShop: Does not work and requires an update to 7.0
  • Game Patches: Everything works, both for ROMs and retail games
4.5 sysNAND + 6.3 emuNAND + Gateway 2.0b1
  • ROMs: Plays all ROMs, including Zelda ALBW and Batman, except for NANDsave ones like Pokemon X/Y
  • Retail: emuNAND Classic Mode plays all retail games, including NANDsave ones like Pokemon X/Y
  • Online: Works for retail games, does not work for ROMs
  • eShop: Does not work and requires an update to 7.0
4.5 sysNAND + 7.0 emuNAND + Gateway 2.0b1
  • ROMs: Plays all ROMs from the same region only, including SDK 5.x ROMs like Zelda ALBW, except for NANDsave ones like Pokemon X/Y
  • Retail: emuNAND Classic Mode plays all retail games, including NANDsave ones like Pokemon X/Y
  • Online: Works for retail games, does not work for ROMs
  • eShop: Does not work since Gateway 2.0b1 doesn't patch 7.0 emuNAND

OLD GATEWAY INFO
Spoiler

A NEW EXPLOIT

(Only scarce information is available about this one)

I don't have the time to write about this one right now, nor am I familiar with it but here are the info threads for the new exploit:​

There are a few more exploits that are out there, but I haven't looked into them and/or they are irrelevant because they won't be released or aren't realistic.​

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back