• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hacking Getting the MIG Switch to load an XCI dump without its original Initial Data

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
Website
gameparadise.org
Credits
I just got a MIG Switch card out of curiosity and I was tinkering with it.
For those who don't know, it's used by placing XCI dumps as well as other game specific bin files in the sd card of the MIG Switch, and are obtained from the original cartridge by using an app like nxdumptool.
Two of these bin files are mandatory to get the game to boot: Initial Data.bin and Certificate.bin. They stay the same for every cartridge of a specific game.
Now, if you want to use an XCI dump from a shady website it's impossible to get it to work without those files. By using the Certificate.bin from another game it has no problem, but this does not count for the Initial Data.bin. So I looked for a way to obtain this Initial Data from an XCI file and read a bit of the XCI file documentation from switchbrew dot org.

Here's what I understood so far:
The Switch checks if the cartridge is valid by doing a challenge–response authentication on the Initial Data.

The Package ID is contained both on the XCI and the Initial Data, on positions 0x110 and 0x0 respectively.
2024-04-05 17_43_53-HxD.png

The Initial Data hash is on the XCI at position 0x160. It is calculated by doing a SHA-256 hash on the full Initial Data content.
2024-04-05 17_48_24-HxD.png

So I was wondering, is there a way to to construct a functional Initial Data file starting from an XCI dump?
I also tried a reverse approach by editing the Package ID in the Initial Data from another game, generating the Initial Data hash and putting it in the XCI file but is not enough to get the Switch believe it's a real game.

Sorry if this may seem stupid but let me know what you think.

The revelation of "Getting the MIG Switch to load an XCI dump without its original Initial Data" flashcart has stirred curiosity and debate among gaming enthusiasts. This breakthrough potentially circumvents restrictions, enabling users to load XCI dumps without the original initial data. Such developments often spark discussions about the ethics and implications of piracy in gaming communities.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back